Monday, August 22, 2011

Mystery

President of Emory James Wagner said yesterday, to a slew of new students, many of them being first years at Candler, something that sparked my mind and interest. He gave a very candid speech to the students and faculty members about, generally, what the University stands for in the realm of thinking and learning. Among this topic he mentioned this notion that in a field of study there are three categories of information for the ones studying: the known, the unknown, and the unknowable. His perspective of this "unknowable" information really stood out to me, because he approached it with mystery. To pursue the mysteries that are out there is a journey of discovery and knowledge, even if the mystery is never solved or known. This pursuit will amount to knowledge and empowerment. He encouraged us to take on this concept and not shy away from the unknowable, or the unknown for that matter. 

I can't help but think of what Andy Lowry says to me, that my "ministry won't be one of knowledge, but of experience". I know that this idea will follow me around, because it just hits home with me.

These two concepts obviously relate to me. They both take the pressure off of knowledge for me, but emphasizes it also. Knowledge is a tool for the way I will do ministry, it has a purpose beyond itself. It is not the point, but I do need it, and will pursue all that I can.

Obviously "knowledge" is a broad word. I don't want to know everything, that's exhausting and unnecessary. I want to know who God is, I want to know the Bible inside out, and I want to know how to love people like Jesus did. These are all impossible (in some ways also, "unknowable"), but the pursuit of these is the reason I am here. My continued findings of this reason means a lot to me, because it also empowers and enables me. No matter how far fetched these seem, the pursuit of them is my ministry. 


Colossians 2:2-3

"My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." 

No comments:

Post a Comment