Saturday, January 15, 2011

Abandon; Surrender

This last week or so, I have really been concentrating on the idea of abandonment and surrender. These words came to me from the song "The Stand" by Hillsong during prayer time at the CFL Wesley Leadership Retreat last weekend.  The lyrics really caught my attention.

So I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all

So I'll stand
My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours

The idea of abandoning my heart is one that I struggle with because I believe God has given my own heart, and abandoning it would be dishonoring Him. I think that, instead, God has given me His heart, and I need to abandon my own to embrace His. Similarly, surrendering my soul, my being, my self, is something that forces me to become more aligned with what God is doing inside of me. These are things that are completely difficult for me, but God is not concerned with that. Neither am I. John 3:30 comes to mind: He must become greater; I must become less.

Also, God taught me last weekend that growing is not about becoming more like yourself; it is not finding your own identity. God calls us to become more like Him; to follow Him. Certainly a revelation for me. I am a unique person, and that will still come out as I seek Him, follow Him, and strive for His will.

I really had a great weekend with old and new faces on the Leadership weekend, and God really showed me a lot. I even had possibly the best one-on-one "prayer and share" (copyright Jack Ladd, 2011) time with someone ever. I am excited to be interning over the next 6-7 months.

On a side note, we bottled and our first batch of beer this afternoon here at The Dugout. Here it is, with the first bottle in front. Should be ready to drink in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment