Monday, February 11, 2013

New Life

1st Corinthians Chapter 15, the"Resurrection Chapter," captures my intrigue and challenges me. It is not the kind of challenge I normally face, however. Most of the time nowadays, I am more concerned with discovering the meaning of the text, and how I would communicate it to others. This chapter certainly interests me as I try to uncover the meaning, but it more so interests me as I truly try to live as though this text is true. The message from this chapter (for me, of course, I challenge you to discover your own) is, essentially: Jesus is risen, and so are we. Of course our resurrection is unlike Jesus';we did not raise from the dead in a physical way as Jesus did. Rather, Jesus gives us new life. What does this mean?

I am reminded of Nicodemus' question to Jesus that prompts John 3:16, a staple Jesus quotation for the Christian faith. He too, was confused with this concept of new life. I think it is still confusing today. Last Sunday, I preached about this text at Inman Park UMC (where I am currently serving). I am not going to reiterate the sermon here (although if you would like to hear it, I am more than willing to give you an audio recording, just let me know in the comments). The claim that we make that we believe in the resurrection of  the body (Apostle's Creed) is equally baffling, but I would like to posit that it points it is consistent with what  Jesus told Nicodemus: " “Very truly, I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above (born anew)." What does it look like to live with this "new life?" I understand this to mean that we know that believing in Jesus and his resurrection, and this changes us. It makes us respond in ways that expect God to do more in our lives. The fact that we have new life means that we live in anticipation for God to work, to move, to act, and to respond to what God is doing in our lives. God invites us to not just sit back and react to what is going on in the world, but to notice what God is doing in it. "I  believe in the resurrection" means "I expect God to act"; "I am born anew"; "I look and anticipate God's action in my life and in the world around me."

This new life;  this holy expectancy of God to move,act and transform us provides hope for our life to be directed towards God. This new life is one that is dead to sin and alive in Christ. We are able to hope and dream and expect things to happen in our lives. This opportunity is given to us by God, but we must accept the invitation to live into it.

Do not  let the elusiveness of the term "resurrection" or phrase "the resurrection of the body" keep you from expecting, anticipating, and looking for God's action in your life and in the world around you.

The  hopes and dreams that are provided by this holy invitation to live as people of God that are invited to live our lives anew each day are much like those that a new baby provides. My family and I are excited to welcome a new baby, a new life, new hopes and dreams, into this world. Oakes Andrew Cardaci, son of my sister Anne and brother-in-law Drew, was born last Tuesday February 6th. He is beautiful.

Photo: Survived our first night at home!



No comments:

Post a Comment